Monday, February 2, 2015

Its been a minute!

Hello everyone, I haven't forgot about you guys!  It's been really crazy at my household.  After the New Year (literally January 2nd) my household has been plagued with all types of viruses.  It all started when I babysat my little niece on New Years Eve, she had a stomach virus, and I thought I did my best by separating her from my kids.  I was running around like a chicken with her head cut off, making sure everything was sanitized.  But then it happened, I remember it like it was yesterday.  My little niece Sippy cup was on the counter separated from my daughters Sippy cup (the two would never meet), however I underestimated my toddler daughter's height (she's a tall two year old) she reached up on the counter and grabbed my niece's Sippy cup and took a sip!  You should have seen me, I ran to my daughter so fast to grab the cup, but it was too late (if you could see me in slow motion, you would have laughed).  I knew that their had been a transfer, but I was hoping and praying that the illness would not rear it's ugly head on my daughters. 

I thought my daughters had beat the odds because on New Years Day they were perfectly fine.  They were eating and playing with their cousins, they were my two full of energy toddlers.  But things turned South quickly that night, my oldest daughter begin to vomit and she had diarrhea.  Not only did my oldest have the stomach virus, but my youngest did as well.  The next morning my daughters pretty much laid around the house with no energy.  They were constantly using the bathroom and they had no appetite.  The stomach virus turned my full of energy toddlers to two couch potatoes with no energy.  I had to take a week off from to nurse my two beautiful daughters back to health.  I definitely learned a lot about treating young children with stomach viruses.  I got a lot of advice from my daughters pediatrician, the local pharmacist, from my mother, and my sisters.  So I thought I would share with you guys some tips, just in case your little precious ones get stuck with the dreadful stomach virus.

1.  Make sure your little ones stay hydrated.  Electrolytes are a good source to keep your little ones hydrated. 
 
2.  Florastor Kids was recommended by my daughters pediatrician's office.    Florastor® Kids is a clinically-tested, natural, yeast-based probiotic that aids in the growth of good microbiota in the intestines, while destroying and removing pathogenic (bad or disease-causing) microbiota to help maintain or restore optimal intestinal health.  It comes in packets in which you can pour in drinks, yogurt, applesauce, etc.
 
3.  Everything that my daughters had contact with was sanitized.  I also used hand sanitizer to make sure germs were not spread around.
 
4.  All small toys that my daughters like to put in their mouths were put away.  When they play in their pretend kitchen they love putting the fake forks and spoons in their mouths.
 
5.  I also cleaned all toys that had been exposed to germs with soapy water.  I put the toys in bins and put them away until my daughters were feeling better.
 
 
I also gradually introduced foods to them everyday.  They would eat yogurt for breakfast mixed with probiotics or toast.  They also would eat soup for dinner.  They pretty much ate foods that had some nutritional value like bananas, lean meats, soup, etc. The stomach flu can last up to ten days, my daughters had it for five days.  Also, the most important rule is to keep your children away from public places (school, church, daycare, etc.) so the virus won't spread around.
 
What are some suggestions or tips you have for treating little ones with the stomach flu? Chime in below!  
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts